Monday, August 24, 2009

Life Attracts Life

The title and quotes are from The Alchemist by Paul Coelho. Fittingly, I read this book on my way back from the Sahara Desert. It is true that 'You don't even have to understand the desert: all you have to do is contemplate a simple grain of sand, and you will see in it all the marvels of creation.'

Everything I read made sense and resonated with the experience I have had thus far in Morocco. Especially in the Orphanage, I have found that the journey and test in life is different for every single person.

'Making a decision is only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision.'

Its true, I would never have dreamed that by making the decision to volunteer in Morocco would bring such life lessons. I have been so fortunate to be able to gain a glimpse of the journey that these orphans are on. Each child emits a light that brings the hope of a better future…one where they are adopted and have the privilege of receiving undivided attention. Unfortunately, I work with children who are 4 to 6 years old and have a very slim chance of ever getting their own family. Most who adopt, adopt from the newborn room. But…

'It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.'

I have gotten to know the children in my room and have grown to really love them. They call me Majda or Momma and always blow me kisses as I leave the room. They trick me into saying words like booger in Moroccan Arabic and hysterically laugh at me when I repeat it. I have learned happy birthday in three different languages and sing each version at least 3 times a day. Also, I went on a field trip last week with a younger group of children to the shorelines of Rabat to eat ice cream…what they call “magic park”. It was the first time they have ever been out of the orphanage and they were 3 years old. Having the windows down in your car, imagine feeling the wind blowing in your face for the first time. Seeing each child experience this was priceless.

'It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary.'

One sentence for each of the children does not do justice to their vibrant personalities but I will try and describe the dynamics of my room… Ameen is the “man” and takes care of everyone. Fadwa is the little obedient ray of sunshine that just wants to smile and learn to count with the seeds that fall off of the tree. Taha is in a wheel chair and spends the most time with me wheeling around the playground. He begs for a balloon from the head nurse every afternoon and once he gets it, he is satisfied for the day. Nadia has no toes or fingers but is the most rhythmic of the bunch. She can sing any song and can dance to any beat. Salema is always rocking back and forth because I think she wants some sort of touch or she is trying to keep her self occupied. Husam is shy and has taken some time to open up but when he does you take advantage of the time to play patty cake or insy binsy spider. Hatim is the baby of the bunch and is protected by Ameen. Omayma is a complete diva and is a 25 year old in a 4 year old body. I am convinced that whether she gets adopted or not that she will be a movie star or a talk show host when she is older. Kassim has down syndrome and can’t express himself through words. He speaks through his eyes and smile. It is true that a smile is the universal language of the world.

'There was a language in the world that everyone understood, a language the boy had used throughout the time that he was trying to improve things at the shop. It was the language of enthusiasm, of things accomplished with love and purpose, and as part of a search for something believed in and desired.'

Makhtub. And so it was written.


4 comments:

  1. Majeda it is nice to here about the children at the orphange! Makes you want to bring them all home with you! Blow some kisses for me, Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing a little about each little person you get to love over there. I look forward to hearing even more about them when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mush, we miss you so much! Reading your blog makes you feel just a bit closer to home:) It sounds like you're gaining a wealth of insight, undoubtedly a life-changing experience for you. Those kids make me cry, and I don't even know them! May Allah reward you for giving so much of yourself to help them.

    Enjoy your last week, we love and miss you!
    Khaltoo Jet
    p.s. i just want to announce that Yaaaaaaan is fully potty-trained ON HER OWN!!!! Oh, and she talks up a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mush thank you for giving us that valuable insight into the orphanage. How can that possible not be with you for the rest of your life? With your words you are teaching us about those life lessons too. We are so incredibly proud of you and really are wondering what we did to deserve such a self-less daughter with such a big heart. We love and miss you very much. Inshallah the remainder of your time there is all that you want it to be ... I can already imagine the good-byes ... I want to bring Kassim home! Love Mom xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete