Friday, August 7, 2009

In Rabat

Hey everyone,

We are finally in Rabat!!!!!! WOOT. I don't think the total hours of sleep in the last two days amounts to too much so I may just end up rambling in this post (that was a run on sentence, right?)...

I zonked on the Edmonton Intl flight to Chicago after a emo goodbye to my mom and sister. I don't like to hear the worry in my mauji's voice. Got into the land of lollapalooza and had the best panini in the world. Seriously, Chicago has the best food (the cousins are right), even in the airports. Spoke and texted with some of my Chicago relatives during our 6 hour lay over. Too bad I wasn't able to see them... maybe on the return flight.

Chicago to Paris flight was about 7 hours. We had the most comfortable seats and had a good little nap until a lady got sick and there was a call out on the intercom for a medical doctor. Kelli and I contemplated jacking the nice blankets but we are good girls and know its bad to steal. Listened to some podcasts (Meccaone Radio), read a bit of my trusty lonely planet guide books and watched a bit of "I Love You Man". The chick who was acting in this movie was very sub-par. There was a few good laughs though.

Anywho, then we got to Paris. Oh the land of sweeeeetttt fashion. Ya Mom, I was a total HICK compared to them. I admit it! hahaha. It wasn't long before we picked up our luggage, switched terminals and hopped onto the flight to Rabat. We had some variation of couscous and pasta on the flight which I didn't really eat because I was half awake and feeling a little groggy. Best thing about this flight was on our eating trays... "Air France guarantees there is absolutely no pork in this dish." Sign you are going to a Muslim country, haha. Candice ended up sitting by an interesting Moroccan local who gave some great tips for our trip. She also got a glimpse of this while Kelli and I had our window shutter down...

It is the SHORT distance between Morocco and Spain. Apparently, due to poverty in Morocco, many people end up dieing trying to swim over to Spain (app. 14 km). We also just found out that we will be having a long weekend during our volunteer trip, so we will be able to go up to Fez, Tangir and take a ferry to Spain. Coool.

We got off the plane in Rabat, my attempt at Moroccan araby then began. The language barrier wasn't that bad between my broken lebanese slang and candice's french. The lady who stamped my passport refused to believe I was Canadian for about five minutes and kept asking me my origin and my dad's origin. Anyways, it all turned out good. Our taxi ride was an adventure in itself, but I will save that story for later. I will leave you with a picture from the balcony of our hotel room. Tomorrow is CCS orientation.

Piece hommies. xoxo. MF (does that have the same affect as "XOXO, GOSSIP GIRL"?)


4 comments:

  1. YAY!!! So glad you are there all safe and sound...already sounds like amazing adventures ahead. Can't wait to hear more. Stay safe and love you all lots xo
    Have the time of your lives girls!
    xxx ooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam from Syria to Majoodi!!
    I think what you're doing is awsome Maj I hope you have fun and do lots of stuff :) I'll be back in Edmonton same time as you so I'll give you a call to hear all about your travels...mwahh :)
    Love Sarsoura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mush, I was so happy to see your beautiful face today on skype (I LOVE technology!!), looking so relaxed and happy. I know you will have an amazing time and take in every little aspect of the whole experience, with your open mind and positive outlook. We miss you already, and love you tons!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Moroccan taxi rides!!!!!! I am so happy that you made it safe and sound. My mother says that she empathizes with yours as she was certain that I would end up in a Moroccan jail. Well, I survived, and learned a lot while over there, so I wish you the best of luck!

    PS:I hope to download Skype soonest!

    ReplyDelete