Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I am wondering...(Day 1 in the Orphanage)

Do we consider a piece of garbage to be equivalent to a dora doll?  Do we think that seeds from a tree inside a run down "sandbox" can teach a child how to count? What about bread and butter everyday for breakfast - would you "get sick of it"?  How often do we consider the true weight of the words - Alhamdullilah, Praise be to God?

All of these questions and more run through my head every second I am with the kids at the orphanage.  Day 1 at the place was so many different things that the amount of adjectives I could use right now would cover this whole blog.  I got into the room I was assigned and had to jump right in.  I introduced myself to the nurses in Araby and began passing out bread and milk to the kids.  Almost immediately, two boys called me "mamma"... a word defined by new faces coming in and out of their rooms every few weeks.  They do not understand what a mother is.  There is no consistency in this word, yet there is still so much love attached to it. This observation was confirmed by the kids running up to the only male nurse outside and the 2 male volunteers during playtime yelling "baba, baba! (dad, dad)".  After I got over the initial shock of the standards of living and the many disabilities "normal" kids have, I began to converse, sing and dance with these cute, energetic, AMAZING, children.  I had the urge to say "la! (no!)" to a girl breaking a piece of hilwa (a mint given to them by a volunteer) in her mouth and distributing tiny little spectacles of green sugar and germs to her eager friends, but then I realized that is their only real "treat" for the day.  The spread of germs was unstoppable, so I figured that they might as well enjoy it while it lasts.  

Speaking of "hilwa" (something sweet in arabic), I am going to spit out my gum and jump into be.  I can't wait to see them again tomorrow!  Taha, the most physically disabled yet mentally the smartest kid I have ever met, already knows my name.  

Much love back home.  Facebook is super slow, so I apologize for the lack of response.

xoxo, Mush



2 comments:

  1. Mushie, Allah has given you this opportunity to remind us all of the weight of the words, as you say, Alhamdullilah. I know that you have immediately opened your heart and spilled the bounty of your love over these children. And no doubt, it has already moved you, beyond words. This I already know. Dad is very emotional over what you've just written told me to tell you that he is so very proud of what you are doing. We are all thinking of you always, please keep sharing your days with us. Much, much love from home. Mom & Dad xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This completly broke my heart when I read this, and was a reminder to always give thanks for what we have in life, and to never forget to always say Alhamdullilah for everything in life.

    ReplyDelete