Monday, September 14, 2009

Reflection


Well, we are certainly back to our lives here in Alberta, and I am seeing everything through a new lens. Everyone naturally believes where they are is the center of the universe, or the place where everything happens and that it’s the way to be/live. We get caught up in the daily thoughts, feelings, disappointments, tasks to be done, exciting times, etc. By experiencing a little bit of Morocco, and Africa in general, I can now say that we are each in our own little corners of the world, and believe it. Right now we can get all flustered about school, jobs, or routine things that are known to cause stress in our daily lives. It is easy to. I think about the tough times that others might be going thru though, and it quickly puts things into perspective. Yes, we are entitled to be involved in our lives and feel those things, but it is important to keep grounded and keep those others in mind. We should be grateful for the opportunities, freedom, health, and supporters we have here. I cannot say how thankful I am to have my friends and family to come back to. I appreciate you all on a whole new level. Thank you for being there from the beginning of this process and encouraging me every step of the way.


I have learned so much from not only the kids at the orphanage, but their caregivers, various locals, the CCS staff and other volunteers. We met some amazing people from many different corners and they all had something to offer the experience.



I need to send out a shout-out and huge thank-you to the staff at Home-Base Rabat for everything. They were there as professionals, teachers, mentors and friends. Each person has a story and I am extremely lucky to have met you. We miss you already!





To our fellow-volunteers: we shared something totally unique and I am happy that we were there together. From sharing about our days and being there for each other on the tough ones, to having some fun on our days off, I am thankful also to have met each of you, and want to keep in touch. Who knows where we might meet up one day??






Kelli really hit it when she said that there is so much more to tell than any blog or newspaper article could ever convey. I would also like to extend the invitation to share the experience with anyone who is interested. I’d like to note as well that there were photo restrictions from the orphanage and that is why no pictures have been posted from there. I whole-heartedly encourage a trip like this for anyone. We met and stayed with people of all ages and from all backgrounds … from students, to career-driven adults, to young families. If anyone has any questions, please ask! There is always a place that needs extra hands and hearts.



On a final note, I need to thank my two travel buddies for the times we had. These girls gave so much of themselves to the experience and we learned a lot about each other. They were an inspiration in each their own ways, and I am grateful to have had this past month with them.




Thanks for keeping up with us!


-Candice


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I haven't cried for a couple days now and here I am a teary mess again after reading this!

    I miss you all. People in my life have been asking me how my trip is, and it's hard to sum to up in a socially correct fashion... "Amazing?" There was so much good yet so much sadness, times of growth, and reflection in general.

    I am so glad that I got to volunteer with you guys and miss you all so much! Keep being awesome ladies, and be sure to keep in touch :)
    Love to you all!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete